Saturday, June 4, 2011

To everything a season: The dress up addition, Part 2

Yesterday I told you about a costume for G that I bought. I was a little disappointed because I had wanted to sew something for her but the apron and chef's hat were just too cute and too good a price to pass up.

Well, today is the season for sewing and I think I more than made up for it with a new creation a la Carrie. First, a little info:

Are you familiar with Ikat Bag? This woman is amazing! If you think you do crafty and fun things with your kid, DON'T visit her site. She will make you feel like everything you do is sub par. Just kidding. Go over, check it out, get inspired!!! Two warnings: 1) You will feel a teensy bit inadequate. At least I do. 2) She has a love affair with cardboard.

Last week I saw this post featuring one of the cutest costume idea EVER. For some reason (hormones? lack of sleep? too many diet pepsi's?) I decided that G had to have one. So I went to JoAnn's (where the glorious apron was discovered) and got my supplies.

At first glance, it looks like a semi-regular wrap skirt...

front

back

Are you noticing all the layers? Hmmm. Here are some shots of Miss G modeling her new duds for you.



And her sister wondering what all the fuss is about...


That's when my girl spreads her wings and...

fly little one!

butterfly? fairy? butterfairy superhero?

front, wings spread

back, wings spread

I have to say, I feel like I earned an honorary doctorate in engineering figuring this out. The "instructions" at Ikat Bag are just a general guide, there isn't much detail. But we love it and it was well worth the effort. My sewing is poor to quite poor, the seams are crooked, I melted the fabric in a couple places with my iron, and my child apparently doesn't have quite the "wingspan" I thought she did (measure twice, right Dad?) but I am proud of it just the same. This was my first time making "clothes" and I might be addicted. Holy moly. Halloween will never be the same...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share something lovely...