Friday, March 11, 2011

Beef Short Ribs, Vino in the AM

I've decided that I want to try one new recipe every week. Its not a resolution or anything (can you make those in March anyway?), just that I've been in a bit of a cooking rut and need to add some new grub to my repertoire. So last night, I made this:


It's Beef Short Ribs with Parmesan Polenta and roasted asparagus. This was my first time making short ribs or polenta and I learned a couple of things.
  1. When a recipe calls for wine and you put everything in the crockpot at 10 a.m. its REALLY not fair that someone somewhere decided you couldn't drink before noon. I mean, there was was this open bottle of vino staring at me ALL day! Not cool. Not cool at all.
  2. I don't really like wine in my food. Obviously I like to drink the stuff (refer to point 1), but I'm usually a bit let down with the flavor when I cook with it. Maybe I never use the right kind. Dry, sweet, full-bodied... I don't know! Just poor it in a glass and let me guzzle it already!
  3. Polenta is an interesting beast. After reading the recipe I thought it would cook a bit like risotto. It was supposed to take 25-30 minutes on a low boil with frequent stirring (I usually avoid anything thats too labor intensive) but the stuff INSTANTLY thickened when I added the cornmeal to the boiling water. I swear I followed the instructions to a T. On the bright side, it turned out fine without me having to hover over it and get all sweaty at the stove.
  4. I WILL stir in gorgonzola for my next attempt. I used Parm because I already had some, and it was alright, but I love some good stinky bleu cheese (I like to spell it bleu and say it blueh!) and think it might have been a good compliment to the tomato-ey gravy that the meat cooked in.
Overall, it was pretty yummy. And, with the few changes I described above I think it will be even better next time! The recipe was from Midwest Living Jan 2011. Oh, and I omitted the fennel completely because, by golly, I just don't like the stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share something lovely...